POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer : Re: New Computer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Computer
From: clipka
Date: 13 Aug 2009 17:49:53
Message: <4a848a81$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford schrieb:
>>     1m 15s !!
>
> Yep, the i7's are speedy little beasts, from what I've seen. Does
> hyperthreading help at all?

Yep.

Running on a single thread, the benchmark takes 6m 10s = 370 seconds;
therefore, even under ideal conditions, without hyperthreading it could
run no faster than 93s. So although hyperthreading doesn't halve this,
at least it reduces the render time by another 20%.

So in terms of computing power, for the sake of raytracing it's roughly
equivalent to adding a 5th core.

I guess it depends on the main memory speed though: I guess HT mainly
serves to reduce the idle time while the CPU is waiting for data from
the main memory; so for machines with slower RAM (speaking of latency),
it may be even more of a benefit.

I also heard tell there may also be differences between OS. I'm running
XP Pro x64, maybe Vista or Win7 do an even better job at making use of
HT. Don't know about this though.